Open More Doors with a Great Elevator Speech
You finally get the chance to meet that really big prospect at a networking event and you know you've got a tiny window of opportunity to connect with him to make your introduction. You manage to approach him to introduce yourself, and he says, "Nice to meet you...and what do you do?" If you are like many of us, you launch into some spontaneous rambling about your products or services in an unimpressive and in a not very memorable way. And you know you've blown it when Mr. Big smiles weakly and says, "Nice meeting you as he walks away. I'ts then that you realize you have just missed a big chance to advance the relationship to get his business. What could you have done differently to maximize those precious seconds to make a compelling impression?
What it takes is a well-crafted "Elevator Speech"
An elevator speech is a brief description of what you do and who you do it for, like a personal commercial.
Most people will state what they do, but they don't describe how they help customers improve the quality of their businesses or their lives. They don't mention how they add value or include any benefits. And most importantly, they don't make the other person want to continue the conversation. If you can keep the conversation going, you are on your way to advancing the relationship that will ultimately lead to doing more business.
So exactly how do you craft a dazzling elevator speech?
Let's start with the timing: It should be of the length that you could share with someone in an elevator on a short ride.
There are many different strategies on this, but studies show shorter is better.
7 to 9 seconds will do it, and some are up to 30 seconds, but remember the shorter it is the easier it is to remember! Every word counts and the crafting of the message is clearly is critical.
Let's share a few steps to get you started:
Step #1 - Take out a piece of paper and simply write down all the services you provide for your customers. Think about how you help them save time, money, improve productivity,
Step #2 - Brainstorm why people choose to do business with you. We all know there are many different providers, but list what makes your customers want to continue to do business with you and what do YOU do to make them raving fans
Step #3 - Write out what you do in such a way that it encourages more conversation. As an example: Instead of saying, "I sell real estate", you might say, "I specialize in helping people get the most for their money when they buy or sell properties."
Step #4 - Break the statement down - Tell us what you do and then tell us how the customer derives the benefits from working with you. As an example for a financial planner you might say, "Hi, my name is Carol and I help families save money SO THAT their kids can go to college and they can still enjoy their retirement."Or, " I help people build wealth by managing their money SO THAT it works better for them."
Step #5 - You must write out your elevator speech. It becomes you and it must roll smoothly and be spontaneously delivered. It must be easily understood which means, you must...
Step #6 - Practice, Practice and Practice!
It may be something you continually tweak until it sounds just right!
After you've been able to open the door at an encounter or event meeting using your elevator speech your next step is to continue to advance the relationship by asking questions about what they do. Get as much information as you can, and then use this powerful script:
"Mr. Big, it's been delightful meeting you. I'd like to see if I know anyone in my database that might be a good prospect for your business...How can I best refer you?
This sentence alone will make you stand out, and allow you to discover what this person needs and wants really are, so you can determine if they are a fit for what you sell!
Get their interests, ideas and information, and here's a critically important step:
Your follow up is critical, so whatever you promise to do or send...do it! Your elevator speech can work for you hundreds of ways and hundreds of times in a day!
Here's several ways you can use it,
- Every time you introduce yourself to people
- Include it in your automated signature line in your e-mail
- Use it when you leave a message for a prospect on their voice mail
- Don't forget to include it on your business cards, your letterhead or articles you may write.
- Always include it on your marketing pieces and brochures
After a meeting, be sure to follow up with a personal note, or send your new prospect a book or information about something you've discussed at your meeting. This will help them remember you and the event and make it easier to get an appointment when you call.
Using a well crafted elevator speech to introduce yourself and what you do becomes effortless, fun and highly productive. And if you really want to maximize your business opportunities, invest in designing an elevator speech that takes you to the top!
- Beverly Hills, CA
- London, England
- Los Angeles, CA
- Miami, FL
- New York, NY
- Rochester, NY
- San Francisco, CA
- 7 Ideas on how to Get the Perfect Business Cards
- 7 Ways to Conquer Your Fears of Public Speaking
- Time is not the enemy get the most out of your day
- Breaking the Backbone of Limiting Beliefs
- 5 Steps to Effectively Build Your Business thru Referrals
- The NEW Relationship Between Consumers and Businesses
- What is Reputation Marketing
- Ten Social Media Tools You Better Be Using Now
- 8 Ways to Host a Successful Business Mixer
- Social Marketing How they increase your bottom line
- Turning Hits into Leads
- Why Name Badges are Vital in Networking
- SmartGuy Local Networking Groups and Your Chamber of Commerce a Perfect Fit
- Do logos really matter
- Online Shopping Cart Alternatives For Web Based Businesses
- Ideas for Starting an Online Business
- Business Development - How to Start Your Small Business
- 6 Tips for Success at a Speed Networking Events
- The Power of Increased Focus
- Little Things You Can Do to Grow Your Business
- SmartGuy Now Surpasses 145,000 Businesses
- SmartGuy® Completes New Platform
- How Businesses Rank High on Google INSTANTLY
- SmartGuy Tops 50,000 in Global Internet Engagement
- SmartGuy®️ introduces Free Phone App
- SmartGuy Now Manages 20,000 City Business Networks
- What is a Youth Development Program
- Best Business Networks Near Me
- Who Is Ron DeSantis and his Political Positions
- How Businesses Rank High on Google INSTANTLY
- Risks of Artificial Intelligence
- What Are The Four Types of AI
- What are the Common Uses and Applications of AI
- What are Neural Networks and How Do They Relate to AI
- What is Deep Learning and How Does It Relate to AI
- What are Constraint Satisfaction Problems
- What are some common misunderstandings about AI
- How Does the Strong AI Differ From the Weak AI
- Where Does Artificial Intelligence Go From Here
- How Many Different Kinds of Agents Exist in Artificial Intelligence
- What is a Chatbot
- How Can Artificial Intelligence Be Used to Identify Fraud
- What are Different Platforms for Artificial Intelligence Development
- What is the Future of Artificial Intelligence
- Which Assessment is Used to Test the Intelligence of a Machine
- If you are starting a new business how Will you use AI to promote your business