Time is not the enemy get the most out of your day
Twelve billion, two hundred and sixty million (12,260,000,000) - that's how many instances of the word "time" show up on a Google search (as of the writing of this article). There must be something important about this little word to make it so widely used and in so many ways.
One thing is for sure though: we only have so much of it and once it's gone, it's never to be seen again. Since time is so precious and fleeting, I've made up my mind that I'm going to make every minute count...here are three tips on how you can too:
Tip #1: STOP using meaningless excuses
Have you ever caught yourself saying, "I didn't have time to..."? It's a wonderful excuse because everyone uses it! This excuse is based on the assumption that people will automatically understand and sympathize with you in the fact that really, no one can control time and since everyone is always so "busy" sometimes things just don't get done.
You: "Gee, Mr. Customer, I'm sorry you didn't get that order this morning. I just didn't have time to get it out before the end of the day yesterday."
What you really mean is you didn't make time because it wasn't enough of a priority, or didn't plan, or weren't ready, or just plain forgot. If you messed up, just admit it, apologize, and move on! If you truly did run out of time, that's ok. All you need to do is communicate to whomever you need to about the situation, but for goodness sake, don't use excuses.
Tip #2: Be REALISTIC about what you can handle and learn to say ‘No’
Are you one of those people who just can't say 'no'' I know lot's of people like that and one thing I've noticed in common is that they are constantly frustrated about not having enough time. Hmmm, no wonder. I understand the desire to please everyone and to try to make people happy. I also understand that there is a risk of missing out on an opportunity if you say 'no'.
But there's a bigger risk that if you take on more projects or favors than you can handle, either they don't get done in time, or they get done with less quality than you’re capable of. Ultimately, you wind up playing the firefighter running from fire to fire and then you experience burnout (no pun intended...well, maybe a little). Even firefighters only put out one fire at a time.
Tip #3: Get ORGANIZED
"But I’m not very organized!" ,you say. Oops, did you forget Tip #1 already? That's another one of those great excuses that often means "I don't want to get organized", "I don't know how to get organized", "I'm avoiding getting organized because it's too painful to try it because I’ve failed so many times", or here's a good one: "I don't have time to get organized".
Different people have different pictures in mind when thinking about what being or getting organized means. The key is this: There is no single "right" way to be organized. My wife and I are both exact opposites when it comes to how we structure our daily tasks into some sort of a system to help us get things done. I use a PDA, Outlook, my phone calendar, and anything else that I think might remind me of a job I have to do. My wife, however, pretty much has it all in her head and on sticky notes and miscellaneous pieces of paper. To me, it doesn't LOOK organized, but it works for her. Quit beating yourself over the head about the fact that you can't use a certain method or system that seems to work for others. Use the system that WORKS FOR YOU!
"There is never enough time to do everything, but there is always enough time to do the most important thing." - Brian Tracy
- Atlanta, GA
- Beverly Hills, CA
- London, England
- Los Angeles, CA
- Miami, FL
- New York, NY
- San Francisco, CA
- How to Leverage your Small Business
- Business Development - How to Start Your Small Business
- Take Action Now and Achieve Your Goals Sooner
- Market to Generation X
- The Power of Increased Focus
- Ten Social Media Tools You Better Be Using Now
- SmartGuy Local Networking Groups and Your Chamber of Commerce a Perfect Fit
- Social Marketing How they increase your bottom line
- Ideas for Starting an Online Business
- The NEW Relationship Between Consumers and Businesses
- Cooler Cups The Promotional Friend For The Small Business
- Little Things You Can Do to Grow Your Business
- Open More Doors with a Great Elevator Speech
- 7 Ways to Conquer Your Fears of Public Speaking
- Breaking the Backbone of Limiting Beliefs
- 6 Tips for Success at a Speed Networking Events
- 7 Ideas on how to Get the Perfect Business Cards
- Why Name Badges are Vital in Networking
- Online Shopping Cart Alternatives For Web Based Businesses
- What is Reputation Marketing
- SmartGuy Now Surpasses 145,000 Businesses
- SmartGuy® Completes New Platform
- SmartGuy Tops 50,000 in Global Internet Engagement
- SmartGuy Now Manages 20,000 City Business Networks
- SmartGuy Gives Away Money LIVE Online Weekly
- Gift Shops Just About Everything In One Store
- Find the Best Mothers Day Gift
- Goal Setting Exercises and Activities What Are Some
- Finding The Best Commercial REITs How to Invest Wisely
- Where to Live in Brazil Best Places
- How to Keep Your Small Business Growing During the Coronavirus Slowdown
- Best Small Business Bloggers and Influencers
- Top Small Business Bloggers Top 40
- Bitcoin Basic Information FAQs
- How does Bitcoin make money
- How Difficult is it to Make a Bitcoin Payment
- What are the Advantages of Bitcoin
- How to Find a Good Business Opportunity
- Benefits Of The Quick Delivery Service
- Grow your SmartGuy City Business Network by 50-100 Businesses in the Next 60 Days
- Why are Youth Programs Important
- What is a Youth Development Program
- Best Business Networks Near Me
- Who Is Ron DeSantis and his Political Positions
- A Mans Desperate Attempt to Improve Mankind and Counter the Inevitability of Mans Demise