How to Become a Behavioral Health Counselor
Any prospective student wanting to know how to become a behavioral health counselor should realize that one is committing to an extensive course of study in the sciences of mental health. As a counselor, s/he is held to a somewhat less rigorous standard than that of a physician or specialist; however, the training and aptitude for the work both begin early.
Behavioral health counselor jobs are, like those of any mental health counselor, prefaced by an education that includes mathematics and the sciences (the student should have an aptitude for these as early as high school; no algebra or chemistry skills translates to little skill in the mental health field). The potential counselor will need not only a Masters level degree in their specialization (although they can begin internships with an Associates degree), but also numerous clinical and counseling hours (at least 1000 to be competitive in the behavioral health counselor employment market). One answer to the question of how to become a behavioral health counselor is to practice the craft, supervised and finally unsupervised, at every opportunity during the educational process. This is a primary requirement for licensure and certification as a behavioral health professional under the auspices of the AMHCA (American Mental Health Counselors Association).
The nature of the work
A behavioral health counselor is not a social worker or psychologist. The approach of a behavioral health specialist to disorders such as depression, drug or alcohol addiction and similar substance abuse, stress and grief, low self-esteem and suicidal tendencies is a holistic one, using numerous different therapeutic techniques to achieve success in ameliorating or overcoming these conditions.
In addition to the overall diverse nature of the treatments, the behavioral health counselor will apply the behavioral methods of therapy and modification to a patients problems. Using the models of learning and conditioning as created by such pioneers as B. F. Skinner (who took his theory from the studies of Pavlov), the behavioral health counselor will attempt to show the patient, through both demonstration and conversational therapy, the consequences for the behaviors in which the patient is engaged.
An example of treatment
For example, the behavioral health counselor may approach an alcoholic patient with the model of operant conditioning, in which the counselor and patient set behavioral boundaries, and decide the actions performed in the real world that will result in positive reinforcement (a cessation of alcohol abuse will result in a new job and better home life), negative reinforcement (a return to abuse will destroy what little life the patient has left) and reinforcements by contingent stimulation (what activitiesAA meetings, personal counseling with successfully abstinent alcoholics will result in abstinence).
Similar therapies exist for troubled marriages, for depression, suicidal tendencies and any human condition where the modification of the behaviors can result in an improvement in the patients outlook and well being.
Behavioral health counselor employment is on the rise, like many of the offshoots of mental health counseling; the average salary for a mental health counselor nationwide is $46,000, and the job growth in this area, according to the Bureau of Labor and Statistics, is going to experience an approximate 27% increase in the United States, where there are currently over 85,000 behavioral health counselor jobs and mental health counseling opportunities for employment and advancement in this field.
So in answer to the query as to how to become a behavioral health counselor, one can reply that the opportunities are there, the training is available and the job market more than willing to take on new candidates. One should, however, be prepared to make the field a dedication and career for life, and a life study as well.
Category: Employment Training
- Sales Personnel are in Increasing Demand
- Qualifying for Emergency Medical Technician Jobs
- How to Find The Best Banking Jobs?
- Finding a Job as a Corporate Financial Associate
- Secretarial Services Still Invaluable in the 21st Century
- What Are Nuclear Medicine Technologists
- Developing Your Sales Career
- How to Be Top Power Trading Executive
- How To Get A Job In Emergency Medicine
- Genetic Medicine: The Roots Of Human Beings
- How You Can Become A Blood Labs Technician?
- All You Needed to Know About Becoming a Massage Therapist
- What Are Top Retail Banking Executive Qualifications
- How To Find A Midwife In The United States
- Medical And Clinical Laboratory Technologists:Empty Lab Coats
- Hospitalist: A Good Career Choice?
- What is Bartering and How to Barter Online
- Endodontics Everything You Ever Wanted To Know
- How to Become a Prosthetics Technician
- Mobile Consulting Offers Fast Growing Income Potential
- SmartGuy Tops 50,000 in Global Internet Engagement
- SmartGuy Now Manages 20,000 City Business Networks
- How Businesses Rank High on Google INSTANTLY
- SmartGuy Now Surpasses 145,000 Businesses
- SmartGuy®️ introduces Free Phone App
- SmartGuy® Completes New Platform
- What is a Youth Development Program
- Best Business Networks Near Me
- Who Is Ron DeSantis and his Political Positions
- How Businesses Rank High on Google INSTANTLY
- Risks of Artificial Intelligence
- What Are The Four Types of AI
- What are the Common Uses and Applications of AI
- What are Neural Networks and How Do They Relate to AI
- What is Deep Learning and How Does It Relate to AI
- What are Constraint Satisfaction Problems
- What are some common misunderstandings about AI
- How Does the Strong AI Differ From the Weak AI
- Where Does Artificial Intelligence Go From Here
- How Many Different Kinds of Agents Exist in Artificial Intelligence
- What is a Chatbot
- How Can Artificial Intelligence Be Used to Identify Fraud
- What are Different Platforms for Artificial Intelligence Development
- What is the Future of Artificial Intelligence
- Which Assessment is Used to Test the Intelligence of a Machine
- If you are starting a new business how Will you use AI to promote your business