Qualifications Needed to Become an Electrician
When you know the qualifications needed to become an electrician you can easily determine whether this is the right career for you or not. Electricians help in maintaining, managing and troubleshooting different electrical systems. They assist in brining power to commercial, industrial and residential complexes. An electrician can be employed in different industries where they install and fix electrical components and wiring.
An electrician can specialize in repair and construction although they usually perform the two functions. Nevertheless, to become an electrician you have to meet certain requirements or qualifications. The qualifications to practice in different countries vary but there are qualifications that are common in most states.
Among the common qualifications for becoming an electrician include the following:
Apprenticeship programs are the main way via which electricians acquire career training. However, there are electricians who acquire knowledge through a training that starts with attending classes where they are taken through a vocational program by electricians’ helpers. However, they still have to go through a complete apprenticeship. After pursuing electrical diplomas in high school or equivalents, the candidates can also apply for apprentices via different unions. After completing the programs the apprentices qualify to become journeymen who can work on repair and construction projects.
In most countries, licensing is a must requirement for one to be a qualified electrician. There are boards in different countries that license electricians after they complete qualifying tests on building codes and electrical applications. Self-employed electricians who work as contractors might be required to earn separate contractor’s licensing after completing a program in this field.
Most apprentices get about 600 hours in-class instructions on electrical circuits, blueprint reading and safety principles. Apart from classroom learning, they also get on-the-job training with supervision from experienced electricians. They can also practice soldering different electrical components and wiring outlets. This is among the requirements for one to qualify to become an electrician in some countries.
In most countries, one must be aged 18 years and above to qualify to be an electrician. However, there are states that allow individuals to become electricians at the age of 21 years. This is after completing a degree, certificate or diploma program in this field. A GED or high school diploma is a requirement in some countries. In addition, the person must have high level of physical and mental aptitude to become an electrician.
In some states, one must prove that they have working knowledge of the electrical safety measures and electrical codes. They must have also specialized in commercial and residential wiring courses and practices to become electricians. This is proved through work experience acquired by completing an apprenticeship program that is approved by the relevant board.
It is important to note that the qualifications that are needed to become an electrician vary slightly. However, electricians must have educational qualifications and experience acquired through an apprenticeship program that has been approved by the relevant board. The duration for the apprenticeship program also varies but in most states it lasts for about five or four years. During the program, students work under the supervision of an experienced journeyman electrician or master electrician.
Apprenticeship is the most crucial aspect of the educational career of an electrician because it enables them to work on practical or real projects such as switch lighting, home remodeling, assembly lines and rewiring of electrical systems. During the apprenticeship, most programs offer salaries to students and they can also be helped with job placements after completing their training program. The apprentice will also have to pass a licensing exam which is a requirement for the student to qualify to become an electrician.
There are many qualifications needed to become an electrician and they vary from one country to another. Aspiring electricians should consult the relevant board to know them.
Category: Const - Electrical
- The Best Way To Choose the Best Electrician
- 12 Things Electricians want you to know
- Electric Energy A Geothermal Heat Pump Can Help You Save Money On Electric Energy Costs
- Electrical Wire Color Codes - What Do They Mean
- Save Energy and Save Money
- Understand Energy Efficiency Ratings to Help The Environment
- Electrician Hourly Wages - What is the Salary Range
- How To Find A Good Electrician
- Electrical Wiring Basics for do it yourselfers
- The Four Methods For Home Energy Savings
- Are Electricians Expensive What do They Charge Per Hour
- Finding the Best Residential Energy Rates
- How to Save Money on my Electric Bill
- Common Electrical Problems in the Home
- SmartGuy Now Manages 20,000 City Business Networks
- SmartGuy Now Surpasses 145,000 Businesses
- SmartGuy Tops 50,000 in Global Internet Engagement
- SmartGuy Gives Away Money LIVE Online Weekly
- How Businesses Rank High on Google INSTANTLY
- SmartGuy® Completes New Platform
- Find Mobile Home Remodeling Suggestions and Tips
- Turfgrass Weed Control - Best Way to Get Rid of Weeds
- Removing Scratches and Stains from Wood Flooring
- Give me a Diet that Works Best Way to Lose Weight
- Paintless Dent Removal Cost and Tools
- How to find and hire the best aromatherapy expert
- Light for Plants - Important for Growth
- How to Find and Install the Best Ceramic Tile
- Credit Card Processing - Find Best Rates and Reviews
- Best Software Programs for Stock Trading
- Finding Fitness Equipment Stores
- How To Remove Old Paint From Wood Metal or Stucco
- How to Find A Good Pool Cleaning Service
- Find Snowmobile Dealers Who is the Best
- Costco Travel Vacation Packages Best Value
- Find the Best Drug Rehab Near You How to Choose the Best Treatment
- Medical Tourism Information and Where to go
- Importance of Architecture and Construction Built Environment
- Find A Chiropractor near me with Services to Help Heal
- How to Quickly Rebound your Small Business After the shutdown and Coronavirus