Top 10 Tips When Replacing a Roof
The roof is getting older, the roof looks out of date, or the roof is starting to leak. All reasons to consider replacing your roof. However, a new roof could be a very costly undertaking.
A new roof could cost tens of thousands of dollars depending on the size, type, area, angle, materials, etc. Be sure to hire a experienced roofer. When replacing a roof, a good roofer can make a huge difference.
Consider the following top 10 tips when replacing a roof.
- Begin by asking local trusted neighbors, family members or friends if they could recommend a good roofer that they have used. Otherwise, sites like SmartGuy.com, Angie's List and Service Magic might also have reviews and rating from local neighbors who might have used them.
- Make sure the roofer your considering is not only local, but experienced and licensed. Ask them for their licensing number and verify that it is valid. Also, be sure to ask them how long they have been in business.
- Ask the insurance companies for proof of insurance and that it is current, just in case something goes wrong.
- Prior to letting them start, be sure they have all necessary city permits. The city building inspector will help protect you against a roofer skipping a necessary step in the installation of your roof. Skipping this could cause a freeze on the job, and a potential disaster.
- Don't just take the first bid, get bids from at least 3-4 companies. They should come out and give you a written estimate based on what you want. If they want to just give you a phone estimate, forget them.
- Ask if he has a list of references from past customers that you can call. Be sure to call them and ask them about the quality, timeliness, and if they encountered any problems. If so, what did they do to resolve them.
- Check to see if your homeowner's policy is paying for any part of the replacement of your roof. If they are, make sure the roofer you selected is an approved contractor under their guidelines.
- Contact your local better business bureau to see their rating. Be sure to look for any complaints.
- Make sure not to pay in cash and it is usually not a good idea to pay more than 10% upfront.
- Be sure they agree to keep the site clean and free of nails and other debris throughout the job. Also that everything is included, including materials, labor, removal or debris, etc. In fact, it is a good idea to add that any additional materials over and above what is agreed to in the contractor will be paid by them
Replacing a roof is a very expensive task. Be sure to spend proper due diligence to help avoid excessive costs, lousy work, and a roof that could drip for the rest of your life!
Category: Const - Roofing
- Light Colored Roofs - Will They Keep the House Cooler
- Finding the Best Commercial Roofing Companies
- What Is The Best Roof To Install On Your Home
- Roof Leaks and Repairs - Commercial Replacement Costs
- Metal Roof Repair and Replacement - Finding the Best
- Need A New Roof Check This out First
- Infrared Roof Leak Scan
- Stay Under the Best Roof
- SmartGuy® Completes New Platform
- SmartGuy Now Surpasses 145,000 Businesses
- SmartGuy®️ introduces Free Phone App
- How Businesses Rank High on Google INSTANTLY
- SmartGuy Now Manages 20,000 City Business Networks
- SmartGuy Tops 50,000 in Global Internet Engagement
- Types of Irrigation Systems
- Ten Social Media Tools You Better Be Using Now
- What Air Quality Monitoring Does
- Finding the Best Animal Hospitals
- Best Firewood- Types and Finding the Right Mix
- Windshield Repair Business - Getting Started Amidst Competition
- What Are Factory Horsepower Ratings
- Street Bicycles vs Mountain Bikes - How Do They Compare
- Egress Windows Size And Safety Requirements
- Trading Stocks Online - How To Do It
- How to Sell Annuities - What to Know
- Finding the Right Pet Sitter
- Folding Steps are Great to Reach High Places
- Is Steam Cleaning The Engine A Good Idea
- Find the Right Method to Determine the Value of Your Business
- How to Sell My House Fast and get Cash Offers
- Car Accident Lawyer Near Me Where to Find One
- What is a Good Business Opportunity
- Why are Youth Programs Important
- Best Business Networks Near Me