Fixing A Clogged Toilet With Or Without A Plunger
Almost everybody has had to fix a clogged toilet at least once in their life. Most toilet clogs are caused by the use of too much toilet paper, or bad toilet design. Unclogging a toilet is easy. All you really need is a plunger and a five gallon bucket.
Most people are completely unaware of what the inside of a toilet looks like. Toilets have convoluted drain pathways called a colon. The twist and turn to create a water seal that keeps sewer gas from entering the bathroom. The drains are usually 2 inches in diameter, and connect to a 3 inch or 4 inch drain pipe in the floor. Clogs usually occur in side the toilet, as the pipes are big enough to flush out most any debris. Some toilets are designed with a tight turn in the drain pathway that can give solid waste a hard time. This is more common in cheaper models.
If you use the wrong tools to fix a clogged toilet, you can damage the toilet. A plunger and a bucket of water should do the trick almost every time. The plunger should be able to clear the clog. When you think the clog is clear, flush the toilet. As the water in the bowl goes down, quickly pour five gallons of water into the bowl. If the water level does not rise, then the drain is clear. Drain snakes are not recommended as they can damage the interior surface of the toilet.
If you have a clogged toilet no plunger and a bucket, you might still be in good shape. Sometimes when toilets back up, you will notice that the water rises in the bowl and then slowly recedes. When this happens, that means the water is slowly draining through the clog. When the water level drops very low, quickly pouring a bucket of clean water into the bowl can cause a rush of water that will dislodge the clog. Be careful not to overfill the bowl when you do this. This actually works with most clogs, and a plunger really isnt necessary unless this method fails first.
When using a plunger, make sure there is water in the bowl above the normal water level. Dont use the plunger if the bowl is almost overflowing, or you can cause a real mess. Water is heavy, and the weight of the water plus the action of the plunger is what causes stubborn clogs to give way. Sometimes clogs are caused by mineral deposits in the bottom of the bowl. Muriatic acid can do the trick here. But, when fixing a clogged toilet chemicals are often not necessary. Even mineral deposits can be loosened up removed by a plunger and water.
However, if you suspect the deposits are bad enough that acid is needed, be sure to wear old clothes and safety goggles to protect your eyes. Clear the initial clog first. Then, pour water into the bowl to lower the water level. Next, add 12 ounces of muriatic acid to the water and let it sit for several hours. Open the windows to let the fumes escape, and close the lid to keep your pets from getting too curious. After several hours, use a wooden stick to scrape the syphon jet hole. Next, neutralize the acid with a cup of baking soda by adding it to the bowl slowly and stirring it with a wooden stick. Now, you should be able to flush the toilet with excellent results.
Fixing a clogged toilet is a skill every homeowner needs to learn. With the right tools and knowledge, it is very easy to do.
Category: Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning
Featured Plumbing Drains & Sewer Cleaning
- When Your Dishwasher Wont Drain You Can Fix It
- How To Find The Best Drain Cleaning Service
- Finding The Best Drain Pipe
- How to meditate
- How to write a cover letter
- What to do on a first date
- What is the meaning of life
- How to get a passport
- Mind Balance Free Education Platform
- How to become more communicative
- How to become more stress tolerant
- How to become more courageous
- How to become more analytical
- Unlocking Happiness and Success- Effective Positive Thinking Techniques
- Building a Positive Attitude - Strategies for a Happier and More Fulfilling Life
- Overcoming Negative Thoughts - Strategies for a Positive Mindset
- Boosting Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem - Your Path to Empowerment
- Stress Management Strategies-Your Roadmap to a Calmer and Healthier Life
- Mind Balance - for those who dare to redefine their limits
- Teenagers are rushing to MindBalance rather than wasting time on TikTok
- 50 ways to be more like Jesus in everyday life
- Take the Wheel-Navigating Life Beyond the Screen
- Three Sentences from a Billionaire That Changed My Life and Made Me Millions