What is Stucco and What Types are There
What is stucco and what types are there? This is a question that many people who are not experts in construction are yet to find answers to. Stucco is a material that is applied to wall as finishing. It can either be applied to the interior or exterior wall but mostly it is applied on the exterior. The main reason why stucco is used is to make the wall stronger and more attractive. It also has properties that make it resistant to water and temperature therefore reducing the damage to the wall. Stucco is used extensively in both commercial buildings and residential premises.
There are many reasons why experts advocate for the use of stucco for buildings. The material makes the walls strong and will thus give your building a longer life. It is resistant to any harsh weather and does not burn therefore giving the building fire protection. With stucco you will not have to worry about insects such as termites invading your home. When there is damage to your wall, repairs are easier if the wall has this covering. These are among the reasons as to why the covering is important for both residential and commercial buildings.
To get more answers as to what is stucco and what types are there let us examine the varieties available in the market today. There are three types which include cement based also known as the traditional stucco, the Exterior and Insulation Finish system abbreviated as EIFS and last one is a blend of cement based and EIFS. Either of these can give the walls a perfect finish if the installation is done properly.
The cement based stucco was the first type of covering to be introduced. Initially it was made of a mixture of lime, sand and water. After some considerations it was discovered that lime is slightly soluble and thus it was replaced with Portland cement. Today the cement based covering is made of sand, water and Portland cement. Having a cement based covering on a building has many advantages.
The cement based covering is applied in three layers after preparation of the wall. The first layer is the scratch, followed by the brown layer and finally the texture layer which can be colored. Cement based stucco is compatible with color and thus owners of buildings can choose any color they like for the outer layer. Once the layers dry up, they form a strong coat that is water resistant. The covering is also porous and as a result it allows air infiltration keeping the premises fresh at all times.
EIFS is different from the cement based stucco in the sense that it is lighter and more flexible. It is at time referred to as synthetic covering because of the concepts it uses. Just like the cement based covering, it is made up of three layers. The first layer is the insulation board which is either glued to the wall or attached to it mechanically. The second layer is a base coat and the third layer is the finishing and it might have some color.
The blend of the cement based and the EIFS is not very common. Its aim is to bring together the advantages of the two so as to give the walls a better covering. Ingredients from both the EIFS and the cement based are used and the installation procedure is more or less the same as of the two.
This information can give an overview of what is stucco and what types are there. If you are considering a covering for your wall, you should consult an expert so that they can help you choose the most suitable one depending on where you stay.
Category: Stucco & Exterior Coating Contractors
- SmartGuy®️ introduces Free Phone App
- How Businesses Rank High on Google INSTANTLY
- SmartGuy® Completes New Platform
- SmartGuy Tops 50,000 in Global Internet Engagement
- SmartGuy Now Manages 20,000 City Business Networks
- SmartGuy Now Surpasses 145,000 Businesses
- Types of Irrigation Systems
- Ten Social Media Tools You Better Be Using Now
- What Air Quality Monitoring Does
- Finding the Best Animal Hospitals
- Best Firewood- Types and Finding the Right Mix
- Windshield Repair Business - Getting Started Amidst Competition
- What Are Factory Horsepower Ratings
- Street Bicycles vs Mountain Bikes - How Do They Compare
- Egress Windows Size And Safety Requirements
- Trading Stocks Online - How To Do It
- How to Sell Annuities - What to Know
- Finding the Right Pet Sitter
- Folding Steps are Great to Reach High Places
- Is Steam Cleaning The Engine A Good Idea
- Find the Right Method to Determine the Value of Your Business
- How to Sell My House Fast and get Cash Offers
- Car Accident Lawyer Near Me Where to Find One
- What is a Good Business Opportunity
- Why are Youth Programs Important
- Best Business Networks Near Me