The Best Do It Yourself Tips For Bathtub Refinishing
Looking for the best do it yourself tips for bathtub refinishing? Bathtub refinishing is necessary when the surface of a bathtub becomes worn or damaged. Bathtubs are relatively sturdy and will hold up for years when cared for properly. Over time, bathtubs can acquire scratches and nicks from regular use or from dropping items inside the tub. The process of refinishing restores the bathtub to a like new condition.
Homeowners can do this project themselves, or hire a professional. The do it yourself project is much less expensive, and very realistic as the supplies and materials are readily available at home improvement stores. Also, the process of refinishing a bathtub is fairly simple. Unlike some home improvement projects that require a degree of specialized knowledge, refinishing a bathtub takes some every day materials and a modicum of patience.
To make the process easy, you can get a bathtub refinishing kit from the nearest hardware or home improvement store. These kits include all the materials you will need to complete the project. The kits include a concentrated cleaning powder, a two part epoxy kit, steel wool pads, mixing stick, a specially designed application brush, and rubber gloves. Using a kit greatly reduces your bathtub refinishing cost versus hiring a professional. Professional bathtub refinishing cost averages run from $450 to $550.
The first step in bathtub refinishing is to thoroughly clean the tub with the concentrated cleaning powder in the bathtub refinishing kit. You need to remove all soap scum, rust, dirt and caulk from in and around the tub so that there is a clean surface for the materials to stick to. Once the tub is cleaned and rinsed thoroughly, remove the water spout, faucets, handles, and drain plug if you can access the tub from underneath. Dont worry if you cannot remove the plug. Moisten the inside of the tub, and then sand the surface using 120 grit sand paper. Your goal is to remove the shine from the tub, so a palm sander would help. When this is complete, wipe the tub out with paper towels and allow it to dry.
When the tub is dry, it is time to apply the epoxy where needed. Mix the epoxy using the mixing stick and spread it on any large chips, cracks, scratches, or dents in the tub with a putty knife. Allow the epoxy to dry. Next, cover the holes where the spout and shower heads were with a plastic bag taped in place with masking tape. Tape the edges of the tub as well. Follow the kit directions to mix the bathtub conditioner, shaking or stirring for five minutes then letting it rest for another five minutes. Pour half of the mix into a paint tray. Apply the mix to any hard to reach places first with a paint brush, and then cover the rest of the tub with a paint roller. Let it dry for an hour, and then apply the second half of the mix in the same way. Once this is done, let the tub dry completely for 48 hours before reattaching the fixtures and reapplying the caulk.
Bathtub refinishing can restore any tub to a like new appearance, no matter how old the tub might be. This same process is used for restoring other antiques as well. Although relatively easy, the process requires a great deal of patience. If you are not a patient person, then hiring a professional is a good investment. The new coating is not as durable as the original, so there is a chance that you will have to repeat the process in a few years. But if your tub is damaged, refinishing it is much less expensive than having the tub replaced.
Category: Bathtub Refinishing
- How to make lasagna
- How to become more decisive
- How to become more analytical
- How to become a strategic thinker
- how to balance your mind and achieve greater happiness
- How to achieve happiness
- Cultivating Resilience and Mental Toughness - Keys to Thriving Amidst Lifes Challenges
- 50 positive affirmations to be read every day
- Mind Matters- The Chiropractic Approach to Personal Growth
- Take the Wheel-Navigating Life Beyond the Screen
- The Islamic Quest - Transforming Self for a Fulfilling Life in Allahs Light
- The SmartGuy plan to Fostering Unity in a Multi-faith Society
- Illuminating the Path - Overcoming Ignorance and Misunderstanding in World Religions
- A Cautionary Vision - The Grim Future of a Divided World Without Love and Balance
- Balancing Act - How Understanding Personalities Could Unlock World Peace
- Exploring World Religions - A Colorful Journey for Kids
- Discovering Hinduism - A Deep Dive into Its Traditions Texts and Teachings
- The Essence of Islam - Understanding Its Beliefs Rituals and Cultural Significance
- Preparing Kids for Adulthood - 15 Vital Skills They Wont Learn in School
- Living the Teachings of Jesus - 100 Lessons for a Compassionate and Faithful Life