Sink Refinishing How to do it
Every house that has been lived in for some time may need a periodic face lift. One area that may be in need of refurbishment is the bathroom. Sinks have a tendency to fall in disrepair. Sink refinishing is not as difficult as it sounds and this is a guide on how best to do it. The first place to start when doing your sink refinishing is to take measures to safeguard against any accidents. As you repair your sink, you will be handling dangerous chemicals and a good pair of industrial-strength rubber gloves to guard against spillage is vital. A good face mask to protect your visage is also a good idea as well as a respirator if you are in a poorly ventilated space. Ensure that all children and/or pets are far from the bathroom or kitchen and try to keep air circulation free. Once you have ensured you are safe, you should then clean the sink surface with the help of chemical cleaners. Dirt or residue may be an impediment to how you do your sink refinishing and the new finish will not stick. Ordinary cleansers will leave an ugly residue of scum behind while harsh chemical cleansers will probably leave traces behind which will resist adhesion. The best thing to use is trisodium phosphate soap. Rinse the sink, and let it dry for a few hours.
If you want to do your sink refinishing in the best way, your next move should be sanding. This involves using sand to smooth the surface before you continue with the process and to improve adhesion. The sanding should be continued until the sink feels gritty for the primer to work best.
Similarly, polyester filler can be used to fill in any spaces found on the sink. As soon as the sanding is complete, then the sink should be cleaned and all traces of water or chemicals must be eliminated. Once this is done, you must now add primer before allowing it to dry completely. Please note to use the most appropriate primer. Acrylic for sinks that are non-metallic and etching spray primer for metallic based sinks. For an impeccable appearance there should be 8 inches between the spray and the sink. The primer should dry for a minimum of three hours. As soon as you are certain the primer is dry, the sink should be painted on its surface and left to dry for a minimum of two days. For the best results, a durable epoxy should be used and not latex-based paint.
Finally, as you do your sink refinishing, you must undertake the caulking procedure. The caulking is what makes the sink waterproof. The caulking should be done after painting and needs several days to dry before the sink can be used.
Sink refinishing is best done on your own if you want to save some money and should the work of a novice not bother you. However, there are a few things to consider before beginning your career as a repairer. Doing up the sink may help in covering any ugly cracks or chips in the bathroom but you must take care to find a suitable color for painting your bathroom that matches with the general color scheme. Also, if you are not entirely comfortable with the idea of painting on your own then a professional can be called. They will have the requisite experience and tools to manage the affair.
Sink refinishing is slightly different for porcelain sinks. The beauty of a porcelain sink can be intensified with a suitable outer coat. How best to do this is by preparing the sink to mingle with the finish by abrading it. Abrasion is important because without it the sink will shed. Also, since sinks are constantly in contact with moisture, special paint that is designed for longevity must be used to prevent cracking or peeling of the sink surface.
Category: Kitchen & Bath - Design & Remodeling
- How to Ensure the Best Kitchen Renovation
- How to Find a Great Kitchen Remodeler
- Kitchen Pantry Designs For Storage or Display
- How to meditate
- How to write a cover letter
- What to do on a first date
- What is the meaning of life
- How to get a passport
- Mind Balance Free Education Platform
- How to become more communicative
- How to become more stress tolerant
- How to become more courageous
- How to become more analytical
- Unlocking Happiness and Success- Effective Positive Thinking Techniques
- Building a Positive Attitude - Strategies for a Happier and More Fulfilling Life
- Overcoming Negative Thoughts - Strategies for a Positive Mindset
- Boosting Self-Confidence and Self-Esteem - Your Path to Empowerment
- Stress Management Strategies-Your Roadmap to a Calmer and Healthier Life
- Mind Balance - for those who dare to redefine their limits
- Teenagers are rushing to MindBalance rather than wasting time on TikTok
- 50 ways to be more like Jesus in everyday life
- Take the Wheel-Navigating Life Beyond the Screen
- Three Sentences from a Billionaire That Changed My Life and Made Me Millions