Hacking Nonproductive Cough - How to Stop It
A hacking non-productive cough, also known as a dry cough, is one that does not procure any mucus. This type of cough tends to come about due to excessive dust in the air, pollen allergies, changing one's climatic conditions and even smoking. Coughs are the body's natural defence mechanism in clearing the throat when ambushed with blockages. The cough is supposed to help ease breathing.
There are numerous home remedies one can use to try to treat this type of cough. However, one has to keep in mind that the results will differ from one person to the next. Here are some of the treatments one can use to try to stop this type of cough.
- Using a humidifier. One of the reasons one may develop a dry cough is due to lack of moisture in the air that they breathe. By investing in an air humidifier, you effectively increase the amount of moisture in the air in your home. A portable humidifier may work best for people who spend a lot of time in the office as they can carry it with them to work and bring it back home in the evening.
- Vacuum your living space. There are a number of allergens that can be found in the air if your living space is not being cleaned effectively. The common culprit is dust. However, dust mites and other allergens are also typically present. By vacuuming your home on a regular basis, you ensure that all these allergens are cleared out thus reducing the chances of irritation.
- Increase the airflow in your space. Whether at home or in the office, you need to ensure that the space you are occupying has sufficient airflow so as to avoid a hacking non-productive cough. The best way of doing this is ensuring proper ventilation. Keep windows open if the weather is favourable. Alternatively, you could also use fans or air conditioners. One thing to note with air conditioners though is that the vents are clean. It would be unproductive using dirty air vents, as the air that will be circulated in the room will still contain the allergens causing the cough in the first place.
- Steer clear from smoke and sprays. As aforementioned, smoking is one of the causes of this type of cough. If you are a smoker, it is advisable to cut down or quit altogether. If you are living with a smoker, ensure that they are not smoking in the same area that you share with them. There are also some sprays and perfumes that could cause irritations and thus lead to this type of cough. If you can identify the triggers, it is best that you steer clear from them.
- Use a suppressant. One of the most effective ways of stopping a hacking non-productive cough would be through the use of suppressants. These suppressants can be purchased at most pharmacies, herbal clinics and stores. You can also get them online.
- Use honey. Ingesting honey is also a good way of stopping a dry cough. Honey is known to have properties that will soothe your throat as it acts as an anti-inflammatory agent. Either one can choose to take a spoonful of honey daily or you could mix it with your herbal tea or with hot water. There are also honey cough drops that one could purchase.
- Aloe Vera. Another natural treatment to a dry cough is Aloe Vera juice. Aloe Vera has healing qualities that can be used for a variety of ailments. The juice will suppress the cough while relieving the irritation that comes with the constant coughing.